Monday 23 July 2012

Mid Season Update - Norwich and Gosfield Triathlon Wins

Belatedly, a little race update as I've had a couple of low key testers during July.


Norwich Sprint Triathlon - 1/7/12

My local race - I've raced the Olympic Distance a number of times but never the Sprint. The record time for the course was 65, and I had in my head on a perfect day the aim of getting under an hour.

As it was, I missed my target by 19 seconds - but raced with everything I had on the day. Once again I had a great swim, my Sailfish G Range wetsuit bringing me out in the lead with more than 30 seconds in the bank - 9.04 on the exit of the swim was a big PB for me over the 750 metres. I may have gone a little too hard on the swim as it took half the bike course to get my cycling legs chugging - but the second half of the bike, and the overdistance (5.5k) run were strong and I finished with more than 5 minutes advantage on 2nd place.

Gosfield Standard Distance Triathlon - 8/7/12

This again was another low key mid season race - just an opportunity to get out and have another race under the belt. I'd done this Born2Tri race in it's previous form as the Eastern Region Relays so knew the course fairly well. A lumpy bike and a relatively offroad run making a tough but fair course.

The weather was pretty dreadful, waterlogged ground from days of rain - with cool temperatures and drizzly rain. I had a solid swim - intending to get out on my own but choosing to sit on the feet of another fast swimmer to save a little bit of energy. The swim was more likely around 1400m rather than 1500m as we exited in around 18.25.

Out onto the bike and the weather really was grubby. Lots of standing water on the roads and steady rain falling made it all pretty bleak. The only thing I like less than riding in the wet is descending, so on a hilly wet course my descents really were pretty special! I was in the lead straight out of transition but took it pretty steady, figuring that I should be able to outrun anyone who came past me on the bike.

As it was, nobody did. Out onto the run in the lead and I can safely say it was the trickiest and most slippery run I've ever done. It was 50/50 betweek farm tracks and muddy paths, the mud and puddles really were unavoidable and beyond ankle deep. It was a slog but I felt strong with energy to burn. Over the line in 1.57.


Next up it's Fambridge Middle Distance at the end of July.....

No comments:

Post a Comment