Monday 9 April 2012

Up and running

I've now got the first couple of races done and dusted for the year - just a half marathon and a 10k, but my first head to heads of any description since last September. Training has been relatively consistent, but I'm concious that I've only really been training for a little over 8 weeks so whatever results I managed should lead onto some easy improvements over the next 4-6 weeks.

Great Bentley Half Marathon - 18/3/12

This was only actually my second half marathon (despite running 3 in Half Ironman races) and on the basis that my first was done the day after returning from a heavy cycling week in the Pyrenees it was always going to be a PB...

I thought that 1.18 should be possible, but with a few niggling stomach problems on the morning of the race it had the potential to be 'interesting'. As it was I decided to latch onto a couple of guys going for 1.16. It's easy to think at the start that it's a case of getting a decently paced 8 or 9 miles done, then if there's a drop off you've already got 60-90 seconds in the bank. The reality though means that you'll be dying for the last 4-5 miles.

As it was I was uncomfortable from 3-4 miles, held the pace until 8 - then pretty much expired. I got my clothing options wrong and was overheating from the start, my guts were rebelling early on and when I dropped off the pace I really did it in style.

Splits were:
5.43
5.52
5.57
5.51
5.54
5.54
5.54
6.07
6.12
6.13
6.32
6.31
6.46
Finish time of 1:20:09

My heart rate was at absolute max from 3 miles through to 8 and it was just a case of holding it for as long as I could. On the day with the right clothing and settled insides it should have been 1.18, on the right run with more miles in the bank hopefully a 1.16 or so.

Bungay 10k - 6/4/12

This race is one I've done quite a few times over the last 5 years. The course is a little bit lumpy, but as a gauge it's nice to get out and do the same race to see where I'm at. I've still not touched any speedwork for the year and that told straight away, my splits were pretty consistent (17.40/18.07 5k's) - which tells me that the strength and stamina are there, and now it's time to add some speed. Finish time of 35.47. I've been 20 seconds faster around that course, but that was 3 months later in the year (in 2011) - this is the fastest I've been at the end of March/start of April so it'll do for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment